09 May, 2011

A little old man just knocked on the door at our office and asked if I could fill up a jug with water for him. While I was filling it up, he took two soda cans out of the garbage. He asked me if he could have them. When I said yes, he gave me a wide, toothless grin, and said, "you sure have a good heart, giving up these cans for me."

What a humbling statement! Understanding that empty soda cans are so meaningful for this man really put things in to perspective for me today. I wonder how often I discard things that others see as necessary for survival. My heart was both broken and full at the same time.

And what a beautiful glimpse of the Divine! I am honored that God would choose me to bless this poor, old, beautiful man. And in so doing, I too was blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment