03 December, 2010

December 3 Sufjan Stevens Christmas Song of the Day

O Come, O Come Emmanuel from Ding! Dong! Songs for Christmas Volume III

I love Sufjan’s take on this traditional Christmas hymn. I chose it for you today mostly because it was stuck in my head when I woke up. You can listen to it here! O Come, O Come Emmanuel was originally sung in Latin in the Roman Catholic Church and is believed to have been written in the 9th century. It is the oldest Christmas carol that is still sung today. The original seven verses represent the different Biblical views of the Messiah; this version does away with the verses and gets right down to the heart of the matter – we are to rejoice!! It’s short, but it’s beautiful. Sufjan released this song on his first, third, and fifth Christmas volumes, and this version is by far my favorite one. I love the beautiful piano followed by the harmony of a cappella voices encouraging us to rejoice!

I won’t have internet this weekend, so I will post songs for you on Monday. I hope you have a beautiful weekend!

With Love, from Atlanta

1 comment:

  1. Nesee ee ee eee eeeeeyyyy!!!! i will see you so soon! i love your everyday sufjan break down!

    ReplyDelete