29 November, 2010

This was officially the longest weekend ever – five days! We celebrated Thanksgiving with our neighbor, Gloria. She had my roommates and me over for dinner. Instead of watching the game, we listened to Michael Jackson and Aretha Franklin and danced the electric slide. It was unlike any Thanksgiving I’ve ever had, but was a lot of fun!

A couple of other things we have done lately: went ice skating in Centennial Park, sang in the church choir at a funeral, went to several Thanksgiving potlucks, went to Atlantic Station to see the lighting of a giant Christmas tree, decorated the neighborhood coffee shop and thrift store for Christmas, went to a Thrasher’s hockey game (they won!)

We woke up Sunday morning to a freezing house; our heat had gone off in the middle of the night and it was only 45°. We’re not quite sure what’s wrong with it and are hoping to get it fixed sometime today. In the meantime, we’ve borrowed some space heaters from our neighbors and have been bundling up! In light of the Thanksgiving holiday, I’ve been thinking a lot of what I am thankful for. Of course there’s the usual answers (family, friends, health, etc.), but since I’ve been in Mission Year, I’ve realized there are a lot of things I had at home that I took for granted. I’ve realized these things either because they are something I’ve had to do without, or something one of my neighbors does not have. So here are ten things Mission Year has made me extremely thankful for:

  1. heat
  2. air conditioning
  3. electricity
  4. running water
  5. a washer and dryer in my house
  6. a car, gas, and the ability to go wherever I want, whenever I want
  7. enough money to buy organic and high quality food
  8. a dishwasher
  9. the resources and ability to visit family for the holidays
  10. constant access to technology (TV, movies, computers, internet, phones)

I urge you to think on these things, to realize that people in our own country (in my own neighborhood) live without these things, and to be appreciative of all the blessings God has given you!

With Love, from Atlanta

Dancing to Aretha Franklin on Thanksgiving

The Christmas tree and "snow" at Atlantic Station

My roommates, Shanika I in a cheesy
Christmas photo from Atlantic Station

The Atlanta Thrashers v. the Boston Bruins


My roommates at the hockey game

No comments:

Post a Comment