26 November, 2010

A part of Mission Year is neighborhood outreach, so I’ve felt a lot of pressure to have already built some deep relationships around my neighborhood. The truth is, I’ve met a lot of people in the neighborhood, but none that I’ve really felt a deep connection with. I’ve been really discouraged about this lately because I’ve felt like I’m missing out on an important part of Mission Year. This week, one of my roommates asked me what my favorite part of Mission Year has been so far. I thought about it for a while and I really think the best part is my housemates! I started thinking and remembered the part of Mission Year that I was originally most excited for: living in intentional community. This facet of Mission Year is just as important as neighborhood outreach. When I first heard I was going to be on an all-female “Amazon Women” team, I started to prepare myself for lots of drama; girls are notoriously dramatic! But we haven’t had any drama so far, and I’m not too sure we will have much at all. Don’t get me wrong, we’ve had a couple conflicts, and will definitely have more, but we have all been eager and willing to approach conflict maturely and discuss our problems, rather than argue. I feel so comfortable with and accepted by these girls that I know they will be respectful of any issues I might have. We’ve only been here for three months but I already feel as if they’re my family. They’ve been here to learn with me, cry with me, pray with me, and laugh with me.

My original plan for this blog was to be able to tell you the stories of my neighbors. But today I want to share with you about some of the most important people in my life this year: my roommates. We have so much fun together and I am so, so thankful for them!

Maureen (Mo-mo)

Kaitlin (KK)


Jysicca (Jys)

Emily (Em)

No comments:

Post a Comment