15 October, 2010

This was a really good week, but it was super busy and went by so quickly! Now that I’ve gotten settled in and am more used to life here, I am able to think more about the issues that I’ve been faced with. But let me tell you a little but about this week…

I wasn’t looking forward to Saturday at all, but it turned out to be really good! We made cookies and brought them to one of our neighbors named Vicki who has a leg injury. She was in a really good mood and seemed really excited that we came by to see her! We met a few other neighbors including a woman named Yolanda who has five children. When we got home, there was a cat lying on our front steps, who we named Magellan. She is absolutely adorable!

On Tuesday night, GJP had a big fundraising event, at which I helped out with registration. There was great food and I tried grits for the first time ever. They were delicious, although a few people told me they don’t usually taste as good as they did on Tuesday night.

On Wednesday, I went to court for the very first time! It was really interesting to see how everything works. I wish I had more to say, because this was definitely the highlight of my week, but I don’t really… It’s just been fascinating taking everything in and learning about the criminal justice system. I’m starting to meet more of GJP’s clients and have been realizing that they are all people just like us. Our society tends to dehumanize them as thieves and murderers and convicts, but they’re just people who have made some bad choices. I know this is so cliché, but everybody makes mistakes. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying murder is just a little woopsie, because it’s definitely not. Some mistakes affect many more people and have much bigger consequences than others, but that doesn’t mean the people involved can become any less human. They have moms and siblings and families, likes and dislikes, favorite foods and colors. It’s so easy just to dismiss them because then we don’t have to exert any of our own time or energy. Additionally, we don’t have to let anyone into our perfect little worlds, because if we did, our worlds might get a little dirty. But in reality, people are people, no matter their past, present, or future. We’ve all been made in the image of God. I’ve been shocked at how normal our clients are, but feel ashamed (and a little angry at our society) for expecting anything different. So yeah, that’s just one of the things I’ve been dealing with lately – recognizing how normal everybody is, questioning why I used to have a different view of them, and trying to process through that.

Anyways, today has been restorative and relaxing. I have one more week of my “technology fast” so that is exciting! I’ll soon be able to talk to you any day of the week instead of just on Fridays. But until then, you should probably send me letters…

From Atlanta, with Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment