28 March, 2012

I had my second dose of chemotherapy on Tuesday of last week.  Afterwards, I had a couple days of feeling just icky and nauseated.  I started feeling a little better on Friday.  I decided to take a shower and, as I began to wash out the shampoo, my hair started coming out in fistfuls.  It seemed like something out of a horror movie.  And I'll admit, I broke down and started to cry.  Everyone had told me I would lose my hair, but nothing prepared me for the reality of it.  It was a bit traumatic.  Luckily, I have (or had) really, really thick hair.  After six days of what seems like an endless amount of hair falling out, my head is still pretty covered, although much, much thinner than normal.  I don't know how many more days I'll have hair and at the rate it's falling out, I'm surprised I still have any!  Anyways, once I'm a baldy, I'll be sure to post some photos.

I felt a little better over the weekend, so on Saturday, we went to two different wig stores and I bought a wig.  It looks pretty similar to my normal hair, so that should be good.  I kind of want to get another one thats a little more fun because I might as well take advantage of the opportunity, but for now I will wait and see how things work out with the one I have.

I had my blood levels checked on Monday and guess what!  I'm neutropenic again!  So I have to be really cautious to make sure I don't pick up any germs, because my body doesn't have the ability to fight against them.  I had to get a shot of neupogen yesterday, which encourages my bones to make more white blood cells.  Can we just think about that for a second... does anybody else think it's insane that the insides of our bones make blood?  And blood fights germs so we don't get sick?!  That just crazy!!  I am learning so much about the human body from this whole ordeal and the more I learn, the more amazed I am.  Our bodies are so complex!  Even though the side effects are no fun at all, as I learn about them and see the way my body reacts to different things, I am in awe of the brilliancy of our Creator.  

Today, our very own supply of neupogen came in the mail.  This means instead of having to drive to the Moore's Cancer Center for every single shot, which puts me into contact with a lot of sick people, my Mom can give me the shots at home.  I know it's for the best, but I'm not too excited about it.  Every shot hurts, but the neupogen gets injected over three minutes and it stings like crazy as it goes into my arm and for about fifteen minutes afterwards!  I love my Mom and am glad she has a background in nursing with a lot of experience giving shots, but I can guarantee you I am not going to like her when it comes time for my shot.  It's nothing personal; it just hurts!

Anyways, please be praying that these neupogen shots are working and my white blood cell count gets back up to normal!  And thanks again for all the support, prayers, cards and gifts!  I'll have to do an entire post showing you all the wonderful presents people have given me!  You all truly amaze me with your generosity and kindness!

xoxo
Lauren

"Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and through grace gave us eternal comfort and good hope, comfort your hearts and strengthen them in every good work and word."
2 Thessalonians 2:16-17

No comments:

Post a Comment