17 December, 2010

Last night, we had our Mission Year Tacky Christmas Sweater Party and a white elephant mug exchange (pictures to come...). In honor of the Christmassy fun, I have chosen the following song for you...

December 16 Christmas Song of the Day:
Come On! Let's Boogey to the Elf Dance! from Ding! Dong! Songs for Christmas Volume III

I love how Sufjan incorporates both secular and religious aspects of Christmas into this fun and joyful song. When bombarded by ads for the newest gadget that your loved one must have, or coupons for the hottest toys for kids, we have a tendency to forget the true reason for Christmas (the miracle of baby Jesus). But as a Christian, I know I often swing too far the other way, looking upon Santa Clause and contemporary Christmas symbols with disdain. But I think there is so much value in finding the joy and the beauty in all of these things, regardless of how or when they originated as Christmas tradition. And this song beautifully fuses Away in a Manger between joyous lyrics of Santa Clause and presents. You can listen to it here!

December 17 Christmas Song of the Day:
Put the Lights on the Tree from Hark! Songs for Christmas Volume II

I'm writing to you from 33,995 feet above ground, on my way home for the holidays! I can't believe it's the end of the year and I'm already done with my first trimester of Mission Year! Where has the time gone?! It never feels quite like Christmas time until I'm home and the house is all decorated for the holidays, with the Christmas tree, garlands, stockings, wreaths and lights. I hope you enjoy this adorable, lighthearted song! You can listen to it here or watch a video here!
Call your grandma on the phone
If she's living all alone
Tell her Jesus Christ is here
Tell her she has none to fear
If she's crying on the phone
Tell her you are coming home

No comments:

Post a Comment